Friday, April 5, 2013

Little Green Army Men

It has all sorts of names: Mental Imagery, Visualization, Guided Imagery.  Before this experience, I would have said "Hog Wash".  Well, actually, that's not something I think I've ever actually said, but you get the idea.  Who was I to argue though when my mom said she was going to picture "Little Green Army Men" attacking her cancer cells as she sat through Chemo.

They are small, travel in packs and carry lots of guns.  It seemed to make perfect sense.


Monday, April 1, 2013

Nan and I headed off to the University of MN for her first Chemo Infusion.

The Agenda
Oxaliplatin: Infused over 1-2 hours.  Side effects: Coldness, tingling, mouth and throat spasms.  Warm air and humidity would help; breathing into a scarf or blanket and sipping warm liquids.
Leucovorin and Irinotecan: Infused over hours 2-4.  Side effects: Stomach cramping; diarrhea.  Preventative drugs were given prior to the start of the day's chemo regimen.
Fluorouracil: Infused via pump over 46 hours.

We set-up shop: iPad, iPhone, earbuds, snacks, comfy blanket, neck pillow.
I left her in the very safe and capable hands of her sweet nurse and headed off to work.  Five hours later I was back to pick her up.  She didn't look any worse for wear, unless you count the stylish 'fanny pack' she was wearing to carry her infusion pump.

Home we went.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013
Tired, but no other notable side effects.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Tired, but excited to get the infusion pump disconnected and be freed of the dreaded 'fanny pack'!

Thursday and Friday proved to be more of the same.  Feeling pretty good, just tired.

Maybe there is something to this Mumbo-Jumbo.  Kim likes to say "Sizzle, cancer cells, sizzle!" and Mom imagines her "Little Green Army" with a can of Whoop-a&$.  So far, so good.  I think I could get on board with this visualization thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment