"Making a hundred friends is not a miracle. The miracle is to make a single friend who will stand by your side, even when hundreds are against you."
Auntie Janice, my mom's best friend and closest confidant, arrived from California on Wednesday, April 10th. We were hoping she would bring with her sunshine and warmth since we were all tired of the snow, sleet and cold, but we settled for comfort and support.
We didn't plan anything but dinner each night. Our days were left to the simple things: trips to Target and long lunches spent chatting. Movies at the theater and quiet time reading by the fireplace. Mom was energized and happy to spend time with her friend.
Auntie Janice is one of the toughest, strongest and most straight forward people I know. I know she wanted to come and ensure that Mom was taking care of herself and staying positive. I have no doubt her honesty and strength will help Mom get through the next few months and I am grateful she was able to take time away from her family and life in California to spend time with us.
Auntie traveled back today, Monday, April 15th, just as Mom was getting settled for her second cycle of Chemo.
Auntie and her husband, Rey, are planning a trip in September. We are all hoping they will go to Hawaii and that Mom will go with them; they have taken that trip before and it was a vacation Mom still talks about! If mom is not well enough for a trip then they will come to MN for a visit.
I hear Hawaii is beautiful in the fall and I can't wait to see pictures of my mom para-sailing high above the ocean.
No comments:
Post a Comment