Sunday, March 31, 2013

Chemo Calendar

I have so many calendars to track the different facets of my life.

Work calendar
Volunteer calendar
Home calendar

On March 27th, 2013, another calendar was added.
Nan's Chemo Calendar.  This has quickly become my most important (and busiest!) calendar.

The chemo regimen that Dr. Blaes, my Mom, my sister and I decided on is called Folfirinox.  This is a combination of four drugs:
1. Flourouracil (aka: 5-FU)
2. Leucovorin
3. Irinotecan
4. Oxaliplatin

Every other Monday will be a treatment day; starting tomorrow, April 1st.  Every two weeks, Mom will receive the above listed chemo therapy drugs.  The 5-FU is given in a pump over the course of 46 hours. This means on the Wednesday following chemo, Mom will go to the local outpatient clinic to have the pump disconnected and removed.

On the off Monday's Mom will go to a nearby clinic to have her labs drawn and check her blood values.  This will help ensure that she is strong enough for the next round of chemo.

This will be our schedule for the months of April and May.  At the end of May, if all things remain as we hope and Mom has tolerated the chemo well and is feeling strong, we will have a repeat CT scan and prep for surgery in June.

I love calendars. I love the predictability they bring; I can look ahead 3 months and get a good idea of how busy life might be at that point in time.

Nan's Chemo Calendar has an element of unpredictability that is inherent.  Dr. Blaes will adjust the drugs, dosages and timeline dependent on how Mom is doing.  Remaining flexible will be important.

One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment